HUMBLE & CONTRITE

Share with us your studies on particular biblical words here. We'd prefer to see your own studies, but links or quotes for other studies are okay too. Word studies can be a little tedious, but seeing how words are used in different sections of the Bible is a huge help in understanding the Word as a whole.

HUMBLE & CONTRITE

Postby tbreitbarth » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:58 am

In our journey of life and knowing the Lord I encourage myself and all believers to continue in Love, and remain humble always...
Matthew 20:30-32
And two blind men sitting by the road, hearing that Jesus was passing by, cried out, "Lord, have mercy on us, Son of David!"
The crowd sternly told them to be quiet, but they cried out all the more, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on us!"
Luke 17:11-19
and they raised their voices, saying, "Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!"
Luke 18:9-14
But the tax collector, standing some distance away, was even unwilling to lift up his eyes to heaven, but was beating his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, the sinner!'
Matthew 5:3-12 (Humble)
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Psalm 51:17 (Broken Hearted)
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; A broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.
Proverbs 29:23 (Humble)
A man's pride will bring him low, But a humble spirit will obtain honor.
Job 22:29
When you are cast down, you will speak with confidence, And the humble person He will save.
Psalm 10:17
O LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will strengthen their heart, You will incline Your ear
Psalm 25:9
He leads the humble in justice, And He teaches the humble His way.
Psalm 37:11
But the humble will inherit the land And will delight themselves in abundant prosperity.
Proverbs 11:2
When pride comes, then comes dishonor, But with the humble is wisdom.
Proverbs 16:19
It is better to be humble in spirit with the lowly Than to divide the spoil with the proud.
Proverbs 29:23
A man's pride will bring him low,
But a humble spirit will obtain honor.
Ecclesiastes 10:6
folly is set in many exalted places while rich men (Romans 11:33, Colossians 3:16) sit in humble places.
Zephaniah 2:3
Seek the LORD, All you humble of the earth Who have carried out His ordinances; Seek righteousness, seek humility Perhaps you will be hidden
In the day of the LORD'S anger.

Isaiah 66:2 (Contrite)
For My hand made all these things, Thus all these things came into being, declares the LORD But to this one I will look, To him who is humble and contrite of spirit, and who trembles at My word.
Numbers 12:3 (Moses)
(Now the man Moses was very humble, more than any man who was on the face of the earth.)
Isaiah 57:14-16 (Messiah)
For thus says the high and exalted One Who lives forever, whose name is Holy, I dwell on a high and holy place, And also with the contrite and lowly of spirit In order to revive the spirit of the lowly And to revive the heart of the contrite.
Matthew 11:29 (Jeremiah 6:16)
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.
Philippians 2:7-9
Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
Matthew 18:4
Whoever then humbles himself as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 23:12
Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.
Luke 1:51-53
He has done mighty deeds with His arm; He has scattered those who were proud in the thoughts of their heart. He has brought down rulers from their thrones, And has exalted those who were humble.
HE HAS FILLED THE HUNGRY WITH GOOD THINGS (Psalm 107:9); And sent away the rich empty-handed.
James 4:6 &10
He gives a greater grace Therefore it says, "GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE. (Ref. Psalm 138:6)
Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you.
1Peter 3:8-9
To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit;
1Peter 5:6
Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time,
Acts 21:8-9 Four faithfull daughters
tbreitbarth
Paduan Learner Member

Return to Word Studies